Florence is an incredibly popular city to visit as there is so much to see and do. It is extremely rich in historical value, is known for its great food, and is best explored while on foot. There is much art to enjoy; their art museums are to die for! To help you out in choosing sites to visit, we made a list of 5 to consider.
1. Piazzale Michelangelo – This is a huge public square on top of a hill. It looks right down into the city and gives gorgeous views. Most of it is a parking area but you go to see the views, good weather or bad.
2. Duomo – Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore – The cathedral stands out as it is multi-colored instead of just being 1 stoic color. It’s the main cathedral for Florence and dates back to the late 13th century. It has a striped façade designed to match the striping of the Baptistery outside. It is huge but is not really decorated as there was a flood in 1966 that damaged much of their art. They all now sit in the Duomo Museum that sits directly behind the cathedral.
3. Piazza della Signoria – It is the main meeting square of Florence. It has been the center of political life since the 14th century. It has seen the return of the Medici in 1530 to the Bonfire of the Vanities that was provoked by Savonarola in 1498. All the sculptures placed there were to show the artists points of view, from Michelangelo’s “David” which became a symbol of the Republic’s defiance of the Medici family, to Bandinelli’s “Hercules and Cacus” which embodied the Medici’s power when they returned from exile.
4. Uffizi Gallery – This gallery is awesome! Botticelli paintings everywhere…Here’s a list of some paintings on display at this particular gallery.
“The Birth of Venus” by Botticelli
“The Annunciation” by da Vinci
“Doni Tondo” by Michelangelo
“Duchess Battista Sforza of Urbino” by della Francesca
5. Accademia Gallery – This particular gallery holds the original Michelangelo’s “David”. Also shown are works that he never finished…pretty interesting to see the chisel marks on the unfinished products.
There are numerous things to do in this marvelous city. So much history to explore and museums to visit. We can’t wait to go back and visit!